Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Saint Patrick's Day 2000 and Eight

Yesterday was St. Patrick's Day, or St. Paddy's Day if you will. Now, I am part Irish and I find it my duty to go out and drink on this day paying homage. Well, I went out last night. I will be honest, I haven't gone out on St. Paddy's Day in a while...I used to feel like I was killing an infant somewhere by not going out to drink on this day, which is sort of part of my history (in some form). Now, I feel like I have made up for all the St. Paddy's Day's I haven't gone out and drinking and probably the many more I wont go out for in the future. Let's have a brief overview of my night last night...

I left work about 3:30 to run some errands.

Got home about 5:30 and had a headache and went to lay down. Already knowing that this would be another St. Paddy's Day spent in the comforts of me home. Sorry baby Irish infants I just killed.

Kyle knocks on my door and asks if I want to grab a beer or two. YEA! No Irish infants will die tonight! So I got up, head still hurting, put on some pants and went to Skooners.

Had two beers at Skooners (not green ones, in case you were wondering) and just talked with Kyle. Ran into some other friends who said they were going to Triple J's (a favorite spot o' mine) and that we should join them.

Picked up Allen and headed to Triple J's.

Had a lot of beer there and some food. Feeling pretty drunk. I think I had about 4 or 5 beers at Triple J's - oh and in case you don't know they brew their own beer, so its damn good and pretty strong. Met two other people up there and stayed until closing, which is only until 10.

*Now, before I continue, for those of you who really don't know me OR don't know my drinking habits, I usually drink liquor. I like the hard stuff as they say. I hardly drink beer. In fact, I can usually drink liquor all night and be fine, while after about 3 to 4 beers I am usually done. I don't know what it is, but I cant handle beer like I can liquor. It's a scientific mystery.*

So while at Triple J's, people start talking about what are we doing next. Great, Rob is getting drunk as hell tonight. So we all go to Bash's. Apparently every Tech student who did not go on Spring Break is here. Not that is was packed, but there were a shit ton of college-aged kids. That's not a bad thing, just surprised.

So I have two more beers, including finally a "green" beer. I feel the night is complete. I am drunk. I had a "green" beer and I saw one of my best friends and old roommate Eric. However, this was not surprising to see him there because Bash's is like his second home. I then make the mistake of ordering one more beer. The night was done. I was drunk and needed food.

Kyle and myself left the bar sans Allen. He apparently met up with some other friends and was taken care of. So we left. To Whataburger. I got breakfast - the number 14 and a bacon egg and cheese taquito. Heaven. Until about 5:00.

That is when I woke up, stumbled to the bathroom and...you guess it...puked.

I also noticed parts of my body hurting. I now have three random bruises and I do not know where I got them from. I find myself turning into Eric more and more when I drink. In that I mean I will drink so much and the next morning I will find random cuts and bruises and not know how I got them. Oh well, I guess I have learned a lot from a master of drinking...or a master of alcoholism, however you want to look at it.

I took a "sick" day today. It was great. I did nothing but lay in bed most of the day napping. While I was sitting around doing nothing, I started to wonder why I went out drinking. Why do we celebrate St. Paddy's Day.

More importantly, how did we get drinking and wearing green from something that started as a religious holiday. Well, I went to Wikipedia and read about St. Paddy's Day and Saint Patrick himself. Well, I have my interpretations, but I want you to decide for yourself.


Read about St. Paddy's Day here.

Read about Saint Patrick here.

I am not sure how much this relates, but I am pretty sure I could have filled one or all of their shoes last night/early this morning:


Enjoy and I hope all had a great St. Paddy's day!

No comments: