Monday, March 24, 2008

How many lives does it take to win a war?

4,000 mark for the U.S. Death Toll reached today in the "Iraq War."



MILESTONE?!?! Now, I do not claim to be smart. But when I hear the word "milestone" I often think of progress or good things, like "a step in the right direction" kinda thing. I DO NOT see the mark of 4,000 troops dying for war I still do not agree with as a milestone. Granted, they do mention it being a "Grim Milestone."

Just for comparison, this is from CNN.com:

"Of the 4,000 U.S. military personnel killed in the war, 3,263 have died in attacks and fighting and 737 in nonhostile incidents, such as traffic accidents and suicides. Eight of those killed were civilians working for the Pentagon."

VS.

"Estimates of the Iraqi death toll since the war began range from about 80,000 to the hundreds of thousands. Another 2 million Iraqis have been forced to leave the country, and 2.5 million have been displaced from their homes within Iraq, according to the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees."



This shit has got to end. I have never really "protested" the war, but I was never for it either. I personally know 9 people who have been killed fighting in this war and I know about another 20 through friends. This is bullshit. I understand, although did not agree with, the reason for this war. But why the fuck are we still there. I mean it has been five fucking years now. What has been accomplished? It is time to pull out our troops now! Hell, it was time 2-years ago!

The sad thing is, IF McCain wins the Presidency (which, as much as I hate to say it, could happen with all this Democratic back and forth shit) this war will continue and who knows when it will end.

Now, before I have everyone pissed off at me, let me explain. I am against the reasoning for us being in Iraq. I fully support our troops who are over their fighting and giving their lives for us. Like I said, I have lost many close friends from this.

I just do not see how Bush, or any of his "advisers," can sit back and allow now 4,000 U.S. Troops to die and still say we are "winning the war on terror" and this war in Iraq is protecting us.

Really, Dubya? Really?

Are we safer? Maybe. Are we preventing another 9/11-like catastrophe? Maybe. Are we more paranoid in our daily lives because of this? Yes. Are we, as a country, becoming more nationally in debt? Yes. "The war has cost U.S. taxpayers about $600 billion, according to the House Budget Committee." - Also, from CNN.com.

Sure, sure, there are a lot of pluses to this war. I mean we caught Saddam right? Right. Iraq is a much more safer place to live? RIGHT. "Another 2 million Iraqis have been forced to leave the country, and 2.5 million have been displaced from their homes within Iraq." Safe as scuba diving with sharks while having beef steaks strapped to your ribs.


Alright, I am done bitching. I know we are stuck with a "great" (read shitty, in my opinion) President who thinks we are making progress in Iraq. AND we could possibly be facing a new President who fully supports us being in Iraq. Yet another reason to vote Democrat, regardless of whom you actually vote for.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

How Many Lives Does It Take To Win A War?

American Civil War- 618,000
World War 1- 5,525,000
World War 2- 14,000,000+
Vietnam War- 58,209
Korean War (U.S. Only)- 36,516


Iraq- 4,000


No matter how much we disagree with this conflict in Iraq, we still have to keep it in perspective. It is minuscule compared to every other war we've waged. With that said, we better get ready because it's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Josh said...

While the numbers do make it seem like 4000 is much less in comparison to previous conflicts, I like to think that our tolerance for death, especially deaths via illegal wars has drastically reduced.

Perhaps some of our humanity has increased? Or more likely, media coverage has increased and the deaths are seen, heard and considered much more frequently than any other past American conflict.

Rob said...

I agree with both of you, yes the numbers dont lie. The loss for this war, while still growing, is minuscule when compared to others. I think part of the reason this bothered me so much is not only do I disagree with the conflict, but the fact that I have lost some close friends because of it.