Monday, December 24, 2007

Tales from outside the Bible Belt...since I have escaped temporarily for the holidays

So, I know I don't post much on here. I am not even gonna say I will start writing more, because I usually don't. I just need to stop being lazy. I have tons of ideas for stuff to write about, but I just get lazy. And when I do write, I tend to only write about personal shit going on in my life. Well, I am sure I will do one of those pretty soon...

But anyway. I am at home, in McAllen, bored. Very bored. Tomorrow is Christmas and I should be excited, but sadly I am only looking forward to leaving on Thursday. I think its pretty bad when I look forward to leaving ANYWHERE to go BACK to Lubbock. My life has become very sad. And now to change the subject...


So, I was looking around the interweb a few days ago; reading various news sites, Mac-related sites, and other "nerd/technology" related sites that I check pretty regularly now. When you work with a lot of techno-nerds you tend to get involved and I feel the need to read the shit they read just so I can join in on the conversations.

I was reading Engadget to be more specific. I found this story about a new mouthpiece that dentists can use to numb the mouth rather than the traditional needle filled with Novocaine. This actually sounds pretty cool. I mean, I have had some dental work done and that is one thing I really hated about getting any dental work done...the fucking Novocaine shot. I mean after that, I didn't mind because I always got gas. But still, that needle fucking sucks. I would much rather sit there for a few minutes before the procedure with a mouthpiece getting my mouth numb rather than get a shot. I mean really, it would make the dentist visit that much more enjoyable...not that they are enjoyable, but more so than it would be having to get a shot.

Photobucket

"Developed by Laguna Hills-based BioMedDevice Limited, and recently approved by the FDA, the so-called gumEase uses no conventional anesthetics, instead relying on cryoanesthesia: basically, the freezer-stored device chills your mouth into numbness. One application of gumEase, which lasts up to 20 minutes, is said to relieve 90% of a patients pain within two to three minutes."

Wait a minute...one application lasts up to 20 minutes??? Um. Um...now this kinda changes things. I mean sure, suck on a frozen mouthpiece for a few minutes and not have to get a shot, great. Sign me up...

Depending on the dental procedure.

Seriously, think about it. You are sitting in the dentists' chair getting something drilled or prodded or whatever the dentist is doing and your gumEase wears off. Right in the middle of everything. I would jump up in so much pain because you could all of a sudden feel everything. Fuck that. No. It is bad enough you can still hear them drilling and what not. I mean sure they give you music, but you can still hear everything. I like getting a lot of gas, then I turn my music off so I can hear the conversation the dentist is having with the nurse and any other passers by. But I am kinda sick that way, I grew up going to surgeries with my dad and just listening.

But still, I would rather have a shot that I know is going to work for as long as it need be, and then some, than use a gumEase. I mean yes, they say you can use multiple ones to get a longer lasting effect, but still. I would rather take the one shot and get it over with.

Read more about gumEase here.

They posted a video of a dental procedure involving gumEase. It is kinda graphic. I might advise some caution before watching. But still, here it is if you are interested:







Just a brief side note, possibly some foreshadowing for a future blog:

Again, I will remind you it is Christmas Eve. I just finished watching "Ernest Saves Christmas," and I am currently watching "WWE Raw's 5th Annual Tribute to the Troops" or whatever they call it now. Yes, I am watching wrestling!

But I began to think...What would Ernest do to save the troops in Iraq/Middle East/etc? Could he single-handedly end the war? I would like to think so.

Actually...FUCK YEAH ERNEST COULD SAVE THE TROOPS AND WIN THE WAR!

Of course, he would have the aid of Vern. Who, based on my research, was a imaginary friend of Ernest's. Or possibly Ernest had multiple personalities, which would make him much more awesome in my book.

Thank you and good night.

No comments: