Monday, December 31, 2007

New Year's Resolutions

January 2, 2008.

Wow! It is already 2008. What the hell happened to 2007. It feels like it was just a few weeks ago I was with friends, drinking and getting ready to "bring in the new year" that was 2007. I never really understood the term "bringing in the new year," I mean it's going to happen whether you are ready or not. Maybe bringing it in means you are ready for it, for a fresh start. I don't know.

And now it's 2008. Fuck. I mean I am glad 2007 is over. A lot happened that I wanted to get passed, mainly regarding family. But still, 2007 went by too fast.

With the start of a new year, people begin their new year's resolutions. We come up with a list of things we want to do different or improve this year. According to Dictionary.com, a resolution is: 1. The state or quality of being resolute, firm determination; 2. A resolving to do something. I know many people do not always follow through with them. In fact, many people will break their resolutions within the first month of 2008. Hell, some of you may already have broken them.

Then again, maybe you are waiting a few days before you really start those resolutions. Taking a few days to enjoy those things you are giving up or cutting back on. Like if you wanted to drink less in 2008, it would make sense to wait a few days to start drinking less in case you wanted to get overly sloshed on New Year's Eve.

I normally don't make any resolutions because I know I never follow through with any of them. Mainly because I am too lazy. And I seem to set too high of goals with my resolutions.

Because of this, I have decided to go back to my idea of goals when I was a student. And Since I will be started Grad School, it seems like the right time. My idea is to set low goals. This way whatever you do you feel accomplished. For example, when I would take a test or write a paper I would always go in with the attitude that I was going to fail or get a "D." So when I would get a "B" or higher I felt very accomplished and good about myself. Sure, this sounds like a bad idea, but imagine you take a test and feel great about it, you are sure you got an "A"; then you get that test back and you failed. You then feel shitty about it and start thinking about if I only studied longer, etc. Well, with my idea, I never feel that way. Try it, you will see how well it works.

Anyway, back to resolutions. Like I said, I never really set any, but based on the way 2007 went and the way 2008 is already looking, I decided I should at least attempt to fulfill my resolutions. Here is what I want to change in 2008:

  1. Be Less Lazy: I think this one is self explanatory.
  2. Get Organized: I find myself still living in boxes since I moved a couple of months ago. I need to get organized so I can find things and not have to constantly dig through boxes.
  3. Better Myself: This includes a lot of things from eating better to working out more regularly and getting in back into shape. But also includes being more confident in myself and decisions; I often want to do something (IE move to Dallas, etc) but am afraid to follow through with it because I am unsure of the outcome. Also to not bring myself down when things happen that I can not control; many things happened in 2007, especially with my parents, that I would get so depressed about. There was nothing I could do to change things but I would let it eat at me for so long.
  4. Find a New Job: I am tired of getting constantly screwed by Mass Communications. I like working here, well I did, and I like most of the people I work with. But the time has finally come for me to move on. Not because I want to necessarily, but because I am being forced to. It is a long fucked up story, part of it is my fault, but basically I am about to become under qualified for what Mass Communications wants to do with my duties. If I stay I will probably get fired, so I am leaving either in June or possibly in August. They have offered me a Graduate Assistant position, but it is less money and no benefits. So, if you know of any openings anywhere, let me know!
  5. Pay Off Debt: I know this will not entirely happen but I hope to pay off a good chunk of it in 2008. This will also be aided by finding a new, higher-paying job.
  6. Take More Photographs and Build Portfolios: This one is pretty obvious. I need to start taking more photos to better my photography skills. And while taking more photos, build more and better portfolios.
  7. Take Advantage of Equipment and People I have Available To Me: I have not used all of my available resources, both people and equipment, as much as I could have. I know its pretty late to start doing this, but I need to really take advantage of all that I have available to me while working at Tech; I am looking for something in a different department at Tech so I can still have access to all that I have now.
  8. Learn To Play an Instrument: No particular reason, just want to start playing music again. I used to play guitar years ago but quit while in high school. I do now know what I want to learn, but I am leaning towards the banjo.
There are other little things, but they fall under one of the above listed. I really plan on keeping with all my resolutions; some I have to keep, like finding a new job. I have not yet started on my resolutions; I needed some time to think about what they were and what I really needed to change/do different in '08. I plan on starting most of these after my trip to Dallas this weekend. Basically once I start grad school classes next week.

Let's all see how 2008 treats us.

2 comments:

Untersuchen said...

Alright. I'm in for #6. I have a feeling I'll be involved in #7, and well, #8 is easy, but I can't help you with the banjo part. We should look into starting a band, nay!, a TRIO comprised of banjo, harpsichord, and violin.
Don't scoff. I have a vision.

Brittany Strebeck said...

thanks rob! wedding photography is crazy :)

YES i would love to go in on a show with you! just let me know when and what i need to do... what kind of stuff are you going to display?