Wednesday, September 26, 2007

You gotta love the weather in Lubbock

So, god is pretty much rocking the shit out of us in Lubbock, TX today. I was going to have a drink...or five...at a local pub with some fellow work mates. We decided a place to go and then left the building of Mass Communications.

Now, before I continue with this, I want to remind all of you lovely readers than I work in the basement of said building. The other gentleman that was going to journey with me to the pub also works in the basement. So, basically I never know what the weather is doing until I leave to go home...or like today, the bar.

We walk out and notice it's starting to rain and it's pretty damn windy. And cloudy. Since there is construction pretty much surrounding Texas Tech campus, the wind also carries dirt. So, we are walking to our cars, being blown sideways by the wind, getting wet from the rain, and getting dirt in our eyes and mouth - also thanks to the wind. We leave to meet at the bar. While driving, it begins to rain harder and faster. Their is debris flying all over the place from the wind. Also, while trying to get to the bar, I notice several trees have been knocked down. The rain is coming down much harder and faster now; In fact, I can barely see anything and my wipers were on the fastest wipe setting. I thought about pulling over till it clears up...now, before I continue, let me tell you that storms in Lubbock either last for days or a few seconds...so I thought if I pulled over and waited, I could eventually continue driving when things cleared up a little.

Well, this would normally be a great idea. But Lubbock has a HUGE problem with flooding. So, if I pulled over anywhere along the way, it probably would have been worse, ie: my car could have gotten stuck or flooded out or something.

Oh, and did I mention the hail. Yeah, it also started hailing. So hard I was afraid my windows would crack and break and then it would raining (actually flooding) in my car.

So, I called my co-worker and we decided to take a rain check. Probably a good idea, given the hail, rain and winds.

Since I was heading towards my house anyway (the pub we were going to is close to my house) I headed on home. Well, I could still barely see anything. I was pretty scared. Finally I made it home to find the power had gone out twice. It went out twice more since I have been home. We (Eric and I) watched the news to figure out anything we could. Well, they were saying the storm was "blanketing" Lubbock with pea to marble size hail, massive amounts of rain, and 50-60 mile an hour winds. The best thing, they never really mentioned where this god-shitting on lubbock-type storm came from. It was a miracle storm. A shit-miracle storm.

I'm not saying storms like this don't happen elsewhere. But here in Lubbock, TX, one of the claimed buckles of the Bible Belt, we tend to get storms out of nowhere and then within minutes, they are gone. Actually,as I am finishing this, I can see the clouds moving on. This afternoon when I went to lunch it was great...well it was clear and sunny (I am a fan of cool, cold, cloudy weather).

I am sure there is an explanation for this...god likes pissing on Lubbock. Really, I mean this happens all the time. We will have a storm, within minutes it will clear up and it will look like nothing happened. Last winter, it started snowing one morning. By the end of that same day it was bright, warm and sunny. No more snow on the ground. It looked like there was never any snow on the ground anywhere.

My point is this...Lubbock's weather is fucking crazy. It changed hourly; by the minute even. There is no explanation for it...well I am sure there is, but no one around here seems to know it.

As much as I love cold, cloudy weather, I can not wait to get to a place where there is some standard on weather. A place that actually experiences all four seasons. It must be nice to know what the weather be like for days to come. I can not wait to leave the buckle, to leave Lubbock...to escape the Bible Belt.

No comments: